Mao of The Trip

Sunday 2 April 2017

Highly requested Q+A with Harriet

P: Hi Harriet, and welcome to phoebeharrietrtw! We’re really happy you could take time out of your busy schedule and join us for an interview today – I’m sure all the fans will be really happy.
H: Am I meant to respond?
P: Yes
H: Well you wouldn’t believe how busy it is cycling round the world, I’ll do the interview but come on, be quick.
P: So we’re conducting this interview in Thailand. Can you just give a brief overview of your trip so far for people who are less up to date than I am? Ha ha
H: I can refer you to Phoebe’s blog.
P: No, in your own words can you tell the public what’s happened so far?
H: We left our house, and cycled about 17,000 kilometres, although we haven’t had time to count them. Now we’re back on the Asian continent it feels like we’re nearly home. I must say it’s been tough but the greatest fun…
P: Give us some more details
H: I don’t like this question can we move on.
P: Wow that sounds amazing! You’re a legend. Can you tell me which country you’ve found the hardest so far?
H: Strangely enough, NZ. I think when we arrived we were physically exhausted, and the challenge of all those hills combined with the rainy weather made NZ a tough one! It was great to be able to speak English to the natives, and we had a fantastic arrival with Clive and Louise and their lovely family.
P: And what has been your hardest individual day?
H: Oh dear, we've had so many hard days! It's always stressful when you don't know whether you'll find somewhere to stay the night but I think our hardest day was along the jungle road in Argentina, when we had no idea how far from the end we were, daylight was fading, water was running out and there was nowhere to pitch a tent in the impenetrable jungle. Of course, eventually we found somewhere to camp for the night and torrential rain solved the water problem. It created some others though...
P: Have you ever been scared at all?
H: I can honestly say, not really. The most terrifying thing has been some of the traffic on the roads, but we're always careful. 
P: Which has been your favourite country to cycle in?
H: It sounds really boring but it's hard to beat France. There are lots of cycle lanes, the food is delicious, there are loads of campsites, we can speak a bit of French, it's quite flat but not boring, there's a great secondary road network.
P: What’s been your favourite non-cycling tourist moment?
H: The glow worms. When we were in NZ we visited a... something called a... natural bridge. Which turned out to be a massive limestone arch as high as a cathedral. It was pretty impressive in the daytime, but we camped a few minutes walk away, and when we came back after dark the place was lit with a million fairy lights, and it was all the more special because it was completely natural, free, and we had it to ourselves (until the other people arrived).
P: What part of the rest of the trip are you most excited about?
H: *takes a mouthful of wasabi peas* Although I'm loving Asia, it's very challenging and I have to admit I'm looking forward to cycling up the Danube path on our way home. We'll be back into familiar culture, with lots of other cycle tourists. 
P: Who is the most inspirational person you’ve met on the trip so far apart from your daughter Phoebe?
H: Well obviously it’s my daughter Phoebe. We met a Spanish girl called Alexandra who was only young but was cycling through South America totally alone. Not only that but her bike was ridiculously heavy, it fell over and she couldn't pick it up on her own. She constantly jumped into cold streams just for fun. We've met lots of inspirational people, it's difficult to single out anyone. In NZ we met a fabulous couple, Anna and Ollie who cycled through some really tough countries for a year. They have some amazing stories and produced a fantastic book recording their journey. Some of their reflections are inspirational and thought provoking. 
P: What’ve you learnt so far on this trip that you’ll apply to the rest of your life?
H: That's an interesting question. I think. I hope. That I'll work hard to repay the hospitality and welcoming friendliness that so many people have shown us. 
P: What do you miss most about home?
H: Of course, family and friends, but other than that. Two things, my allotment and I miss music. 
P: What are your plans when you get back?
H: Ha ha. That's a problem. I'm going to need to earn some dosh fast, and my poor allotment will need some digging.
P: And now, some quickfire questions to finish!
H: Oh god, do we have to.
P: Headwind or rain?
H: Absolutely rain, anything but a headwind.
P: Gravel or dirt road?
H: Dirt, as long as it hasn’t been raining. *I think here she’s alluding to that famous incident in Argentina”
P: Wifi or hot water?
H: Ummmm it doesn’t matter because neither of them ever works
P: Beer or coffee?
H: Oh god. Ha ha ha ha. Proper coffee.
P; Puncture or gear cable?
H: Gear cable, which is lucky as we've had 5 gear cables and 2 punctures. 
P: Sorry I’ve run out of questions. Anything you'd like to say to the fans? xox

H: Hello fans. I don't like that term fans, I think people are very kind to read your blog but I should say my email address stopped working in December, and if anybody's emailed me and I haven't replied I'm very sorry. I kept thinking it would be fixed soon but it's looking unlikely. My new email address is: harrietsomers6@gmail .com
*I've put a space in that email address because Mum's convinced "web trawlers" will find it otherwise... 

No comments:

Post a Comment